UNICORN GLOW Box Set by Wet N Wild: REVIEW & SWATCHES!!!


"Unicorn Glow" box by Wet n Wild: REVIEW & SWATCHES!!!

I heard about the existance of this glorious treasure trove of beauty while skimming my daily beauty news emails... 

It was immediately SOLD OUT, so I had to stalk it for a few weeks. My persistance paid off and I was able to snag this bundle of gorgeousness. 

The Limited Edition "Unicorn Glow" box set by Wet n Wild
 My mother had always compared my sisters and I to raccoons. Dark puffy circles around the eyes caused by allergies, and a love for anything SHINY. This box of magic is definitely shiny! Everything about it is appealing: the rainbow holographic outer packaging, the faux velvet-lined inner packing, and most of all, the products themselves! Besides shiny things, I'm almost always intrigued by any beauty products that have themes and are limited edition.
The beauties inside the Unicorn Glow Box, 
   So I placed my order and the box arrived in about 10 days. Upon receiving my latest gift to myself (currently incubating my third child, so I deserve it!) I was disheartened. My Color Icon Rainbow Highlighter in Everlasting Glow arrived all crushed into multicolored loose powder. So I sent an email to Wet n Wild/Markwins asking for a replacement. It took them three days to respond to me, but they finally did and promised to send a follow-up email once they were authorized to send out a replacement. Needless to say, I never received a follow-up email. So after about a week since the first email was received, I sent in a reply asking about the status of my replacement. Turns out that they sent the replacement out, but just never sent me a follow-up with tracking and confirmation. But I received my highlighter just two days after I asked for confirmation.

   Finally my set was complete and unscathed! Now I could take pictures and post them for the world to ogle and salivate over. I promised swatches, and then I got caught up in my current pregnancy woes, and my swatches were delayed.... UNTIL TONIGHT! I finally made swatches of all the products and made short videos for your viewing pleasure. <3 


MEGA LAST IRIDESCENT LIP COLORS:

Wet n Wild Mega Last Iridescent Lip Color. 

   Ladies and gentlemen, first off, I would like to present the Unicorn-inspired lipsticks. This set comes with two iridescent lip colors: a white opal lip color with a violet shine dubbed "Immortal Tears," and a light blue lip color with a color-changing fuchsia undertone called "Unicorn Soul."

The Score:   C+

   
   These lip colors go on very creamy, but very quickly dry down to almost a powdery finish, which should be expected considering the amount of mica these colors must have in them to make them so sparkly. I recommend either wearing them over a lip balm, or as a topper for other lipsticks. You will need to reapply after every meal. I admit that the packaging for these lipsticks is a bit on the cheap side, but they are compact enough that they don't take up much space in your purse, or even your pocket if you decide to carry them on you, as I do. 

COLOR ICON LOOSE PIGMENTS:

   I don't own very many loose pigments mainly because I have yet to master the technique needed to masterfully apply them as an eyeshadow. I do like using them as a shimmer added to the center of my lips and used as a loose highlighter. 
   This box comes with three loose pigment powders: Pegasus Flutter - a light lilac pink; Mythical Dreams - a bright medium violet amethyst; and Unicorn Wishes - A dark bluish gunmetal slate with multicolored iridescent shimmer. 


Wet n Wild Color Icon Loose Pigments

  The Score: C-

   When applying this loose pigment powder you need to use either a dampened brush or your fingers. Make sure that the surface you applying to is primed, otherwise the pigment will not stay on your skin. It's a good idea to apply concealers AFTER applying this pigment as an eyeshadow because you will need to perform a little clean up underneath the eye area as it will fall out quite a bit. This pigment doesn't blend very easily so I recommend using it as your main shadow color, or liner, and then working your other products around it. Check out my video of the swatches HERE. 

COLOR ICON RAINBOW HIGHLIGHTERS:

   These are what all the fuss is about! These highlighters are everything. This set comes with THREE shining shimmery highlighters to give your cheeks that brilliant glow reminiscent of your favorite mythical beast. Included are: "Unicorn Glow" #34891 - A real rainbow highlighter; "Everlasting Glow" #34914 - a mostly iridescent opal highlighter with accents of rose and gold; and "Bronze Over the Rainbow" #34913 - a bright bronze-colored highlighter. 


Color Icon Rainbow Highlighters. Left to right: Unicorn Glow, Everlasting Glow, and Bronze Over the Rainbow

The Score: A

   I am actually pleasantly surprised by these highlighters. Not only do they look beautiful in the pan, but they apply beautifully too! I recommend using a more dense blush or highlighting brush instead of a fan or stippling brush otherwise you won't pick up a whole lot of pigment (unless that's what you were going for). 
Unicorn Glow Color Icon Rainbow Highlighter by Wet n Wild.

   The rainbow-colored highlighter, Unicorn Glow, goes on really sheer, which is actually good because you probably don't want really noticeable green and blue stripes across your face. When the light hits the colors there is just a tease of a rainbow on the cheeks and it looks truly magical.It's also a good idea to try to line it up so that the warmer shades (red, orange, and yellow) line up on the top of the cheekbones, while lining up the cooler shades (green, blue, and purple) so that they hit right below the cheekbones. This helps to show off the natural contours of your cheeks. Check out my video of the swatches HERE. 

Everlasting Glow Color Icon Rainbow Highlighter by Wet n Wild.

   The rosy colored Everlasting Glow highlighter applies more like a traditional highlighter. There isn't a whole lot of actual color to this highlighter. It's more of a shear opal once applied to the skin. The rose and gold colored stripes give it just enough warmth so that the glow you get using this isn't cold and icy looking. You can apply this highlighter with any sort of face brush, depending on the intensity of glow that you desire. The pigments are softer than the rainbow highlighter and so they pick up a lot easier. To see this highlighter in action, check out my video  HERE.

Bronze Over the Rainbow Color Icon Rainbow Highlighter by Wet n Wild. 

   I saved the best for last! The bronzed highlighter, Bronze Over the Rainbow, is my favorite item in this boxed set. It has the softest, most blendable pigments of the three highlighters. It applies like a soft warm bath of gold for the cheeks. Being that it is the softest of the three highlighters, you can choose your intensity based on which type of face brush you decide to use and the amount of pressure you use to pick up the pigments. This color in particular would be great to use as an accent on the center of the lips or the eyelids as well as highlighter. If they decide to make just one of these highlighters part of the permanent collection, I hope that it's this one! You can see the gorgeous golden glow HERE. 

UNICORN GLOW HIGHLIGHTING BRUSH:

   Lastly, but not the least is the Wet n Wild Unicorn Glow Highlighting Brush. This brush features dark oil-slick colored unicorn horn-shaped handle and bright while bristles. The brush is made from cruelty-free synthetic fibers. Additional features include a dome shaped brush for precise application and Ultra soft bristles for easy blending.

Wet n Wild Unicorn Glow Highlighting Brush sitting on top of the Unicorn Glow Rainbow Highlighter

The Score: B-

 I really like the way that this brush looks. At first I thought that the dark handle was too drab, but after holding and looking atg ti for a while I realized that the oil-slick appearance gave it just the right amount of pizazz that it needs. The bristles on the other hand, are a different matter. I don't really care for the bright white bristles because I just know that they will end up stained and no longer look pristine. Also, just as the packaging proclaims, the bristles are "ultra soft." This means that it is pretty easy to give your cheeks a light application of highlighter with this brush, but if you want a more pronounced glow, you'll have to go over the same area more than a couple times. The bristles are not packed very densely, so don't expect very much product to be picked up while using this brush. 

FINAL THOUGHTS:

   Even though I will probably only really use 1/2 of these products, for $29.99 it's pretty much worth it. I'm sure I will come up with uses for the pigments eventually. If not, I will gift them to one of my fellow beauty cohorts. All of the items in this box add up to a value of $39.91. I probably never would've purchased the loose pigments or lip colors if I hadn't have received them in this boxed set. This was a nice way to test out the quality of these products and form opinions on them. 
   I would recommend this set to anyone who is a die-hard fan of mythical, outrageous, colorful, and unique makeup. I could definitely see ravers and party-goers rocking these beauty products on a night on the town. I think that some of the color selections are a little off and not quite as light as you would expect to see when naming something after a unicorn. That being said, the packaging is still really cute, and this would make a great addition to adorn your vanity and strike conversation among your fellow makeup buffs. 

The entire Unicorn Glow collection by Wet n Wild in all its glory! 

FINAL SCORE: B

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading! Make sure to check out my other reviews and articles. 





   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sheer Simplicity - Jane Iredale "Naturally Glam" palette

Holy Grail of Skincare ☆ Maple Holistics Argan Oil ☆ REVIEW

[Safe] Fun in The Sun: Beautiful Sunscreen